Total population of Surat is 6,079,231 as per latest provisional figures released by Directorate of Census Operations in Gujarat. This shows increase of 42.19 percent in 2011 compared to figures of 2001 census. The initial figures of data shows that male and female were 3,399,742 and 2,679,489 respectively. Surat District of Gujarat comprises an area of 4,327 sq.km. As per census 2011, density of Surat District per square km is 1,376 compared to 968 per sq.km of 2001.
Sex ratio of girls in Surat district per 1000 boys was recorded 788 i.e. an decrease of 22 points from the figure of 2001 census which puts it at 810.
In 2011 census, data of Surat district regarding child under 0-6 age were also collected. There were total 710,805 children under age of 0-6 against 600,664 of 2001 census. Of total 710,805 male and female were 387,131 and 323,674 respectively. Child Sex Ratio as per census 2011 was 836 compared to 859 of census 2001. Children’s proportion in total population was around 10.07 percent. This figure was around 8.44 percent as per 2001 census.
In education sector, Surat District is having average literacy rate of 86.65 percent. Male literacy and female literacy were 91.05 and 81.02 percent respectively. In all, there were total 4,651,812 literates compared to 2,852,340 literates of 2001 census.
Highlights of 2011 Census
- Total population is 6,079,231 compared to 4,275,540 of 2001.
- Male and female were 3,399,742 and 2,679,489 respectively.
- Population Growth for Surat District recorded in 2011 for the decade has remained 42.19 percent. Same figure for 1991-2001 decade was 54.30 percent.
- Total Area of Surat District was 4,327 with average density of 1,376 per sq. km.
- Surat Population constituted 10.07 percent of total Gujarat Population.
- Sex Ratio of Surat District is now 788, while child sex ratio (0-6) is 836 per 1000 boys.
- Children below 0-6 age were 710,805 which forms 11.69 of total Surat District population.
- Average Literacy rate for Surat District is 86.65 percent, a change of from past figure of 77.62 percent. In India, literacy rate is counted only for those above 7 years of age. Child between 0-6 ages are exempted from this.
- Total literates in the Surat District increased to 4,651,812.
- All the data regarding Surat District Population were released by Directorate of Census Operations in Gujarat.
For more information kindly visit Surat district.